Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:02:16 +0100

This is over the LAN, I assume.

>       t1 = time.time()
>       cur = db.cursor()
>       cur.execute("select id, title, firstnames, lastnames from names limit
> %d" % n)
                                                                  ^^^^^
Can you run that once more against v_basic_person ? Any
noticeable difference ?

>       t1 = time.time()
>       cur = db.cursor()
>       cur.execute("select id, title, firstnames, lastnames from names where
> %s" % search)
Same here.

> 232 records fetched in 0.060 seconds
> 100 records fetched in 0.000 seconds
> 18 records fetched in 0.000 seconds

> 100 records fetched in 0.060 seconds
> 1000 records fetched in 0.270 seconds
> 2500 records fetched in 0.500 seconds
> 2500 records fetched in 0.500 seconds

Looks good. It seems sensible that much of this should depend
more on RAM/disk speed than on CPU power.

> I suspect in your case your server is just swapping to death b/o the
> minimalistic RAM
That's what the server sounds like. It's quite amazing that it
does so 'well' under such circumstances at all ...