Re: [Gnumed-devel] gui and functionality - a few random thoughts

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gui and functionality - a few random thoughts
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 02:49:47 +0200

> If we would have adhered to the paradigm I proposed initially
> - ONE window management system only
In case you haven't noticed we ARE moving in this direction.
The disentanglement of gmDemographics from the top pane is the
first step to get there. It's IMHO also the main culprit for
making that part of the code rather gruesome to grasp.

> - nested notebook widgets
However, INSIDE Richards "Clinical" tab we do need another
way of dynamically handling the layout.

> It is a lot easier to navigate a clear hierarchy of notebook tabs (where it
> usually takes a maximum of two clicks r key strokes to get where you want to
> get) than a non-transparent "intelligent" window management subsystem within
> a notebook panel.
The problem about it is not its intelligence or its
perceived superfluousness (vocabulary ?) but its
intransparency (which in turn may be due to my
incomprehension). Anyone is free to change that.

And, yes, a way to dynamically change the content of the
clinical tab IS useful. Whether a window managing subsystem is
needed for that is another matter.