Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: Re: [GPCG] Embedded Flags]

From: Tony Lembke
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: Re: [GPCG] Embedded Flags]
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:26:04 +1000

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

This will not do an traditionally indexed full-text search but
will allow for searching across the full clinical narrative
tucked away in those useful little comments. Still, it will
also allow for associating said comments with their respective
typed data. Of course, there's a performance strain on behalf
of the server. And, of course, there's some trouble for the
query writer (which can, in severe cases, be alleviated with
some views). I am aware of the fact that this might result in
a clin_narrative table of extreme proportions.

If no one objects I'll comb through our SQL to see where this
would make sense and implement it.

It makes sense to me, Karsten. The mysql approach would be limited anyway in that all text fields would have to be in the one table to allow the fulltext indexing.

Tony L