Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxWindows (?)

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxWindows (?)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:59:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> The current dependency problems relate to glibc2.3. In order to compile this I
> also had to upgrade gcc. I'm sorting out how the add-ons work for glibc as
> that is also confusing. (and that isn't our documentation).
> Liz
Updating glibc and gcc is quite a complicated task. Glibc is usually
linked dynamically to all binary executables. That means if you break your
existing glibc you render your linux box unusable and have to do an
complete new install.
It is theoretically possible to have to different glibc's living side by
side. This, however, needs some knowledge of the underlying system
(dynamic linker etc.). I did that some years ago - it took me days to get
my system at least to work again. I don't know if there is a upgrade
available for SUSE that does exactly what you want. And I would rather not
recommend you to try to adjust this by hand.
If I had this problem I'd either try to find a package that works with the
existing glibc or find a distribution that already comes with the glibc
version you want installed (Suse 8.2 ?).

Hilmar