Re: [Gnumed-devel] problems handling i18n

From: ju0815nk
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] problems handling i18n
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:35:01 +0200 (MEST)

> Several times now I have come across the following i18n
> problem:
>
> To make a concise GUI one wants to use short phrases that get
> their precise meaning from the context of the widget. This
> will amount to one or two words in many cases. However, those
> words may be used in other widgets, hence in another context,
> hence with a different meaning. It is certainly possible to
> translate them context-sensitive. But gettext uses the plain
> string as the key to retrieve the translation ! Hence it is
> not possible to provide context-sensitive and thus varying
> translations for the same phrase !
Maybe we should hack pygettext to extract some context-sensitive key from
the
source file. One could use the ´file:linenumber´ comment that is already
extracted and add this to the message id. In the same run one could create a
default translation for english language.
Problem is that the dictionary will be larger than with the usual key. But
if there are many repetitions you can still delete the context information and
use the plain text string as key.

Hilmar