Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed architecture

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed architecture
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:15:29 +1000

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:09, Roberto Mello wrote:
> I guess my question is "why do we need a distributed objects system?"

gnumed is an international effort, should suit as many places as possible.
When I presented gnumed on conferences in the US, France, UK, and Australia
we learned that some countries provide information services like demographics
or pharmaceutical reference - would be silly to duplicate the existing
services.

Thus, we broke gnumed into self-sufficient entities ("services"), which in the
best case act as a simple API to an externally available service, or
otherwise provide the API to access gnumed's own backend(s).

Since gnumed is aiming at conquering large hospital system just the same as
small private practices, it needs to be scalable. Physical distribution is
one way of achieving this scalability.

Another issue is backing up: If everything is in a monolithic database, you
need to backup the lot - which could cost huge unneccessary costs if you
think of data like drug reference etc. which is usually provided from
external source and can typically be reconstructed without needing a backup.

Last, nut not least we want other free projects benefit from gnumeds
achievements - it is a lot easier to integrate compact self-sufficient
distributed services into your own software than a monolithic mammoth.

Horst