Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:07:06 +1000

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:28:37 +0200
Christian Heller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eventually, you would see that more and more code (whole classes) can
> be defined in XML and Python is only needed for the parser. That is
> what I am currently working on, in Java. As everything goes more and
> more XML, I get independent from Java or whatever parser/language is
> below. My aim is pure C, one day. Finally, GNUmed, OIO, OpenEHR,
> Res Medicinae, ... could synchronize their XML models (in some years).

I take back my comments about gnumed lacking a design phase. The problem is
that we never left it, constantly re-designing and re-re-designing, while our
prospective beta-testers
become increasing despondent.

Don't get me wrong, these ideas have merit, but the purpose of the roadmap is
exclusionary
rather than inclusionary: how can we get directly from *what we already have*
to a minimal version,
which can then serve as base for XML adventures. In particular, the gnumed GUI
is pretty much already done,
and has been so for many months, certainly we can have a minimal functioning
version as described without
another widget.

Perhaps we should consider odd-even versioning like the Linux kernel: evens are
feature-frozen, it aims to
to get it "out the door", odds are the cutting edge for trying out new features.

Ian Haywood

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E