Re: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Qt licensing issues for GNUmed

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Qt licensing issues for GNUmed
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:07:27 +1000

Tim Churches <address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course, there is also Tk and its Python bindings, Tkinter. It has
> the advantage
> that it is free, open source and GPL compatible, and comes with all
> distributions
> of Python on all platforms (well, Linux/Unix/Mac OS/X/Windows at
> least). There is
> a nice extension library of extra widgets (and a framework for
> building high-level
> widgets) for it called Python Megawidgets. And as Horst commented
> last week,
> Tk on Windows now uses the native Windows look-and-feel, so its
> appearance is
> acceptable (previously it looked horrible on Windows).

I just tried the Tk which comes with Python 2.3 and it looks acceptable on my
Windows 2k machine, and the performance seems fine (on a 933MHz Pentium III
with an el cheapo graphics card). I notice that the latest Tk also supports teh
native Aqua interface on Mac OS/X.

Note also that there is already an open source  general parctice  system built
with
Tk (and TCL) - Tk/ Family Practice. See
http://www.psnw.com/~alcald/#informatics - hardly an advertisment for
attractive
user interface design... but that doesn't mean that Tk should be rejected
outright.

Tim C