Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Conference Report - UML

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Conference Report - UML
Date: 14 Aug 2003 05:04:56 +1000

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 22:54, Roberto Mello wrote:
> However, I will warn, as a database person, that UML is useless for
> modeling databases or data. C.J. Date has written quite a bit about it,
> see http://dbdebunk.com/ and especifically
> http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/622916.htm

Yes, but relational databases and SQL are only a transitional stop-gap
until  object data stores are more widely available...<wink>...and date
would say that, wouldn't he...

> I really like "UML Distilled". It's a short, to-the-point book, something
> rare in the computing publishing industry these days. Those wanting the
> whole thing in excrutiating details will want the UML User's Guide.

Seconded - its a great little book. By Martin Fowler, published by
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-65783-X

Don't buy the O'Reilly book "UML in a Nutshell", however. It is useless
(and many people share these feelings about it) - one of the few really
bad titles in the O'Reilly range.

> What are we wanting to model here?

Life, the universe, everything...no, just those parts relevant to
GNUmed...

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0