[Gnumed-devel] Re: Conference Report - UML

From: Christian Heller
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Conference Report - UML
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:52:34 +0200

> > 2/ UML object design from said specs devised. A skills shortage is this
> > area was identified,
> > Tim Churches has indicated he knows some people who may be able to help
> > [1 day workshop + further month]

> Well, we don't know if these people will be willing and have enough spare
> time. Plus
> there is a lerning curve for everybody who want's to take part in that
> process. I guess we will
> need a UML-modelller, too. Is there one available as open source ?
> IN general, I like the idea of UML object design. Don't know much about it,
> yet, but sounds like it could
> help us to sort out our design problems / inconsistencies.

I have been employed by a company "OWiS" that had built a (commercial)
UML tool "Object Technology Workbench" (OTW). I have done some UML
modelling; just last week, I had to correct exam papers about it.

For an average software developer with experience in OO techniques,
one day of introduction to UML is much enough. It is not difficult --
painting boxes and ellipses -- and could as well be done on pure paper.
The architectural concepts behind a system is is what needs to be
understood; UML as such is rather easy.

For those who are interested, I could tell you the basic things in 2-3 h.
Pity we live so far from each other. But I am close to Karsten and Andreas,
in case the next GNUmed conference goes to Leipzig ...

I will probably be at the OSHCA conference in Geneva, too.

Christian