[Gnumed-devel] Webpage & GUI

From: Michael Bonert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Webpage & GUI
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:04:57 -0400 (EDT)

I think the webpage (www.gnumed.org) has some problems.
When I go there I get this:
---
error

select Headline from News where NewsID=586

Can't open file: 'News.MYD'. (errno: 145)
Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in
/www/htdocs/lemlink/directory/render/drawbox.inc on line 10
---
While on the topic, it would be nice to see some of the suggestions I made
earlier be implemented (serpent address-bar icon, new Dr Tux). :-D

My $0.02 worth on the current (wxPython) GUI:
I think GUI has some problems, as I've written before.  In a number of
ways I think OSCAR's GUI is better thought-out, especially when you
consider that most physicians aren't techno-wizards.

Whether the GUI should be re-written (Qt versus wxPython):
I have the impression that most things that work great are re-written at
least once; I recently read Eric Raymond's book--quote: "Good programmers
know what [code] to write. Great ones know what to rewrite (and
reuse)."  I don't claim to be great programmer or even a good one, but I
think the wxPython stuff we have should have a run at the task.  I imagine
the GUI will have to be re-written anyway as we gain experience (through
actually using it in a clinical setting) and wonder whether an additional
re-write at this stage is really going to be productive.

I know that wxPython is frustrating at times because one doesn't always
have a good control of the finer details.  The questions in my mind are
(1) does that matter for now, and (2) will the problems go away if
wxPython and GTK mature some more?

Karsten:
>Hope everything's well with you in Toronto after
>the blackout?
Everything is good.  Thursday was a bit unpleasant though; I usually take
the subway home but that wasn't happening, so it turned into a 2.5 hour
walk.

Tim:
>Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Horst and GNUmed in the national IT press
>
>See
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6924915%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html
I can't connect to that site.
Is that something we can mirror on the GnuMed (www.gnumed.org) site? :)

Lately, I've been working on getting Debian to behave.  Currently, the
commerical nvidia driver is giving me some trouble.  Next week, I'll
going be back in school.

Michael