[Gnumed-devel] Phrase Wheel - a few comments

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Phrase Wheel - a few comments
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:59:23 +1000

1 Substring matching is Section dependant and Editing Area Line Dependant
Is Section dependant as we think differently in different sections:

e.g:

Prescription:

We don't think substrings, e.g if I want ranitidine, I dont type in 'tid', or
if I want a brand I don't type in 'xil' for Amoxil. Yet on the line with
Prescribed For we do thing in instrings to bring up a term (though of course
the system 'learns' our habits and auto-fills this most of the time).

Patient history sections/SOAP

 It is essential to do an instring search.

Why? because of speed of accessing information visually - i) We all think
differently ii) We are like rats being conditioned by results. We s (often a
word in the middle of a phrase which 'stands out' or is unusual,  than by
typing the text at the start of a line.

There is also the question of how many terms you can fit in a list.

If you do a straight search at the start of a string, the phrase wheel would
be populated by dozens of similar terms , carc... being a good example would
bring up dozens and dozens of straight alphabetically listed (or weighted)
carcinoma terms. To find a term within this list one would need to scroll
down the list - time consuming. If you do an instring search on a more
defined part of a word eg 'panc' you would immediately bring up all the
pancreas stuff (carcinoma or not - but it dosn't matter because the resultant
list is small and all fits into the phrase box without undue scrolling.

----------------------------------
2 Special Characters
---------------------------------

I'm not quite sure where all this arose from. I've found in practice that
there are few characters one tends to use.

I note the examples like address@hidden Now, given that medical records are
meant to be for general consumption I wouldn't think this is a good idea.
Does it come, do you think, from the olden days of someone not being a touch
typist, or having to abbreviate their sentances because they were time
consuming to type?

The phrase wheel does away with this. You can pull up a whole sentance of your
own with a couple of letters, as the system learns the whole sentance.

For example, if you are in the habit of describing the signs of middle ear
infections as 'injected red drum, no perforation, fluid levels' then the
minute you use this sentance the system records it with your Dr_ID tagged to
it. Next kid with a middle ear infection, when typing in the notes, if you do
an instr$ search and type no pe for example, up would come the entire
sentance. Again, not a good example, because it is hard to find one off the
top of ones head, but the principal is there.

That way, instead of your medical records becoming exactly the same as the
next persons, it uses your own language. The inbuilt spell check takes care
of grammatical mistakes.

---------------------------
3 Auto-expansion
---------------------------

I would avoid that in most situations. Nasty annoying things can happen when
the system decides to expand an abbreviation when you don't want it. Trust me
I've tried it. Some exceptions, I found tds, bd qid etc translated better for
patients

Whilst on the subject, Spell checking is essential

4. Word Suggesting - word autocompletion

I'd love some smart person to implement the word autocompletion in open
office. This saves heaps of typing once you get used to the keys to control
it.

Hope all this helps.

regards

Richard