Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmWhoAmI

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmWhoAmI
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:36:48 +0200

> > Please keep in mind that what is set in gnumed.conf is called
>  "workplace" which translates to "GnuMed instance personality"
> > in the sense of: "No matter what physical machine I run on this
> > GnuMed instance is supposed to behave like a chemlab request
> > input session."
> Well, I was mislead by gmCfg.cfgSQL which always says "machine" instead of
> "workplace".
It is misleading I admit. With the "machine" in cfgSQL I was
thinking of "offer the following printers on this physical
machine for user selection"-type options. The "workplace" is
more of a role for the machine as in "run a GnuMed instance on
this machine configured for task <workplace> for user <user>"
where <user> is what you log into GnuMed with.

> But then, should we change the "machine" in "workplace" in  cfgSQL ? Do we
No.

> actually want machine-dependent settings (e.g. other screen size, local
> hardware) ?
Yes. It would make sense, though, to just say that
machine-dependant options better live in the config file *on
that machine* and that the "role" for the machine be
selectable at login. A default role could be configured
machine-dependant in the config file. Most machines will be
run with the same default role most of the time so changing
the role should be in the "advanced options" dialog. Hilmar,
care to implement that ?

In that case we do want to change "machine" -> "machine
role" in cfgSQL.

> IMHO "workplace" should be called "role" (somewhat shorter than "Gnumed
> personality"). Really machine dependent parameters should be stored under
> "DEFAULT_USER_CURRENT_MACHINE". That will mean that we will have to
> restrict overriding of some parameters (i.e. you can't set these parameters
> for a
> particular user - or maybe only the admin can do that).
See above. Make really machine-dependant options live on the
machine only (yes, I know, NFS-exported homedirs don't make that
any easier). Use DEFAULT_USER_CURRENT_ROLE. Thus a machine
role can be preconfigured by the admin and users can use that
set of options or derive their own CURRENT_USER_CURRENT_ROLE
profile.