Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmWhoAmI

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmWhoAmI
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:16:43 +0200 (MEST)

> > just added python-common/gmWhoAmI.py. This is a small module that just
>
> > determine user and machine names. Note that now the machine name is
> usually
> > set in ~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf which means that the machine name will
> always be
> > the same no matter on what machine you really are.
> Please keep in mind that what is set in gnumed.conf is called
 "workplace" which translates to "GnuMed instance personality"
> in the sense of: "No matter what physical machine I run on this
> GnuMed instance is supposed to behave like a chemlab request
> input session."
Well, I was mislead by gmCfg.cfgSQL which always says "machine" instead of
"workplace".
But then, should we change the "machine" in "workplace" in  cfgSQL ? Do we
actually want machine-dependent settings (e.g. other screen size, local
hardware) ?

> > Ideas on how the machine name should be determined welcome.
> A split into "physical machine name" - taken from IP or
> hostname and "GnuMed personality" is helpful.
IMHO "workplace" should be called "role" (somewhat shorter than "Gnumed
personality"). Really machine dependent parameters should be stored under
"DEFAULT_USER_CURRENT_MACHINE". That will mean that we will have to
restrict overriding of some parameters (i.e. you can't set these parameters
for a
particular user - or maybe only the admin can do that).

Hilmar