[Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG] [e-smith] How to install CVS on your e-smith s

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG] [e-smith] How to install CVS on your e-smith server
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:14:15 +1000

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 04:54:36PM +1000, Horst Herb wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:22, David Guest wrote:
> > David Guest wrote:
> > > It would be fun to put up Tony Lembke's gmKeysDemo.py. It a python
> > > command line program to search and retrieve keys from a pksd server
> [...]
> > Ah gnumed beat me to it.
> >
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/test-area/tlem
> >bke/
>
> Tony's script does actually more. It can send an email encrypted, looking up
> the recipients key automatically from a local key cache or remote key
> servers.
This is excellent.

However, this has a weakness. Unless the web of trust is very strong,
its is likely that no signer of the recipients key is in the keyring:
the key cannot be trusted. However, it may be possible to
establishing trust by downloading more keys establishing a
'trust pathway" i.e X has signed Y has signed Z.

A solution exists: onak
(http://www.earth.li/projectpurple/progs/onak.html)

onak is an extended keyserver that can caluclate trust pathways
on-the-spot, and (using a hack I hope to get included in the next
version) download all the neccessary keys at once.

Ian Haywood

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E