Re: [Gnumed-devel] Richard's phrase wheel comments

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Richard's phrase wheel comments
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:01:37 +1000

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:37, richard terry wrote:
> I think it is a mistake to try and build too much complexity into this at
> the first stage - think simple - think trawling database for simple lists.

I would very much agree.

Especially since most doctors prescribe habitually out of their "own"
repertoire of less than a hundred drugs - the weighting of the phrase wheel
will automatically sort the choices to what the doctor is used to prescribe,
which is not much in any case. Would be surprised if the drug we want to
prescribe is not within the first 2-3 phrase wheel suggestions after the 2nd
or 3rd letter for most of us, and probably the "default" suggestion after the
3rd to 4th letter.

Apologies that I am not very active on the list or on CVS at present - I am
most busy trying to get drugref (and especially the interactions module)
flying a.s.a.p, which will benefit gnumed more in the long term than some
quick hacks from my part. I am meeting with David Chan for that purpose on
Monday (in Canada), and he will come end of this month to Australia to meet
with (among others) the Therapeutic Guidelines people and drugref; and more
cooperations are on their way.

I believe this will break the ground not only for the acceptance of
collaborative open knowledgebases, but also for the concept of breaking EHR
systems into independent interoperable services (drug reference of service,
interactions another one, demographics, clinical encounters, encoding ....)

This might end this senseless multiplication (duplication is too much of an
euphemism here) of efforts and allow any group to take on a project of a
scope and size suitable for that group; big and small players alike playing
together on a level field, and everybody happy - especially the end user,
because vendor lock-in will not be possible any more.

Horst