Re: [Gnumed-devel] keep testing, or add to main source?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] keep testing, or add to main source?
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:21:58 +0200

> > For example, if a patient has gout, and the user types "a", the
> > phrasewheel should return "allopurinol" as its first guess, but
> > if the disease is depression, the guess should be, say,  "amitryptaline"
> One way to do this could be to store score-tables for every unique
> combination of the relevant entry fields.

> create table score_gmpw_sql_prescriptions (
>       id serial primary key,
>       fk_gmpw_sql_test integer not null references gmpw_sql_test(id),
>       "user" name not null default CURRENT_USER,
>       score bigint not null default 0,
>       fk_entry_fields_combination not null references
> gmpw_combinations_prescriptions(id);
> );
>
> create table gmpw_combinations_prescriptions (
>                 id serial primary key,
>                 entry_field1_term text default null,
>                 entry_field2_term text default null,
>                 entry_fieldn_term text default null,
>                 unique(entry_field1_term, entry_field2_term, ...,
> entry_fieldn_term)
> );

Holy cow ! :-))  Am I missing something if I suggest using a
"cookie" text default null column in score_(*)_prescriptions
which is a concatenated string of the appropriate values and
let the widget care about which field the actual values are
taken from in which order ?  Of course, without a clear
definition of a separator character (newline ?) this would be
a one-way field (albeit sufficient lest I be mistaken).

> -we must choose the number of relevant entry fields carefully (note that the
> number of possible combinations is (num_of_entry_fields)^(num_of_possible
> terms)).
That's IMHO inherent to the approach and not really avoidable.

> In general IMHO we shouldn't make the phraseweels too smart because this
Absolutely agree !

> will always limit the number of matches found in a certain situation.
The matches needn't be hard limits. If the user keeps typing
after exhausting the matches the match provider can broaden
its search space.