[Gnumed-devel] Re: Wishlist - Gnucash

From: Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Wishlist - Gnucash
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:17:45 -0800

Along the same lines of an interface with Gnucash. Billing in the USA takes up a chunk of a practice's resources. How will a generic solution satisfy all? Do basic accounting functions belong in the Gnumed suite since they are very well done in Gnucash? Perhaps we can provide a higher level interface... as Syan suggests. Maybe we can even take on billing.

Having seen one other automated and integrated medical info system, and heard what some MDs have to say about it. It has two main themes driving it: a. Decision support. Scripts implements medical decisions. If you don't know what I am talking about, I will elaborate because this is a subject which can have a lot of discussion. b. Accounting. For the main purpose of saving money. That is how us Americans think.

It would be awesome to implement Activity Based Cost (ABC) accounting. That way each medical activity - and the "activity" can be defined to an treatment encounter or something smaller like an office visit or a phone call - can be costed. Why is this important? Due to reduced insurance payments, private practices have begun to refuse less lucrative procedures - which pushes these procedures to HMOs. People without insurance are showing up at emergency rooms in hospitals and legally, they have to be treated even if they cannot pay.

I am being long-winded here. But I can see why redoing and keeping up with the likes of Gnucash will be a waste of our energies.

Yudhvir
=========