Re: [Gnumed-devel] debugging help

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] debugging help
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:40:05 +1100

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:23, syan tan wrote:
> I think 'N/A' is the problem , because identity gender is a char(2) field .
> Have I got an old identity table?

When the tables were designed, it was agreed to insert "?" for unknown / not
available values.

Just checked in CVS, and to my horror I saw:
gender varchar(2) DEFAULT '?' check (gender in ('m', 'f', 'h', 'tm', 'tf',

Who put that "'N/A'" in ? I suggest to get rid of it.
If an identity is not of a physical persoon nature, the gender field is
irrelevant anyway, and the '?' won't lead to any incorrect conclusions. Why
would there be a need for N/A anyway?

Horst