[Gnumed-devel] Server vs CVS options to increase gnumed input

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Server vs CVS options to increase gnumed input
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:47:56 -0800

The question of getting broader input (and good ideas) into gnumed overlaps with making access easier.

There was previous discussion of a public server at:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-04/msg00019.html

Would a public server allow people to participate by having to download only a client? It is possible that, having downloaded the component software needed for the client, it is felt a "simple" matter to "only" download the cvs and set up one's own machine as both client and server but this can be fiddly and might cost us participation. I am wondering if further a server would help people examine and discuss the same thing rather than behaviour that might be based on different or non-updated versions of the server.

If there is some downside to this, then I wonder if there is a way around some of Richard's constraints. I am here talking about CVS as I try to better understand it. I am imagining that even if Richard has a version of gnumed installed, Ian and Karsten's experimentations are done in their own respective sections of the CVS. Is it possible, practical or too prone to accidental overwriting for a person to maintain on their own computer not only the "current / default" version of gnumed, plus their own experimental changes, but to also download someone else's test code into yet another area on their own computer? That way if Iain or karsten were to say:
        "Here, I have changed / added / removed this, what do you think"
it might be possible to run the "ian" or "karsten" version and discuss on the basis of having been able to try it out?