[Gnumed-devel] gnumed.py hacks

From: David Grant
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.py hacks
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:20:21 -0500

I was bored today so I started looking into some gnumed code.  In gnumed.py:

    appPath = get_base_dir()
    if appPath is None:
               sys.exit("CRITICAL ERROR: Cannot determine base path.")

    # manually extend our module search path
    sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'wxpython'))
    sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'python-common'))
    sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'business'))

This seems like a hack.  The way I would have done it would be:

This should only be done for CVS gnumed:
-get_parent_dir()
-append it to PYTHONPATH
-done

In a Linux distribution or Windows installation:
-do nothing, modules should all be found because they should somewhere within sys.path already

-each directory should have an __init__ file to make it a module
-import modules by doing import wxpython.gmMacro, or import python-common.gmDrugView, etc... -Each time you create new modules within the client/ directory, you should have to go into the gnumed.py file and add some sys.path.append thing. It should become a module because of the __init__ file and you just import it when you want.

Please any comments if you have time?

Thanks,
David

--
David J. Grant
M.A.Sc. Candidate in Electrical Engineering