[Gnumed-devel] Gnumed in real life

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed in real life
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:27:53 +0100

Hi !

I felt the following is necessary to give Gnumed a direction.
Gnumed is not a just for fun project.

It's huge. It's supposed to do everything - some time
That's a common misperception.

Are there any real-life usecases ?
You bet. A few words on the background.
Here in Germany we have a commercial MS-DOS based practice management software
called Turbomed. Turbomed worked well for many years. A year ago the Company
that codes this app came up with a Windows version. They suddenly lost all
interest in the DOS-version. This leads to a number of problems.

1.) Memory problems - There is not enough memory to call external apps the way
we used to for many years. They don't care
2.) Lab-data associated with patients disappear the moment you view them
inside Turbomed.
3.) Sometimes one cannot access the lab-data sheet in Turbomed at all because
of corrupted data. This is a Turbomed problem and has been there for a while.

What options do we and many physicians over here have ?
1.) Upgrade to Windows-version. This sucks because we would have to upgrade
our hardware, train our personel on Windows and still work with a slower
software

2.) Use DOSemu under Linux. This works but has some drawbacks since we need to
access a chipcard-keyboard directly which does not work from within DOSemu

3.) Use GNUmed. That means parts of GNUmed. Karsten has explained the remote
control feature before. We stay on Windows98 , run an GNUmed instance in the
background and use it in conjunction with Turbomed.

3.1)We intend to import lab-data into GNUmed instead of Turbomed. This way it
will never get lost again.

3.2)We also use the document archive from within GNUmed. All paper documents
coming in by mail get scanned with an image scanner and associated with the
corresponding patient

3.3) We record vaccinations in GNUmed because many people loose their
documents and even hospitals call to check on the vaccination status.
Until now we did this non-natively in Turbomed.

Anyway. As you can see there is an immediate need for Gnumed right now

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany