Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GUI design

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GUI design
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:58:38 +0100

Hey guys,

On Friday 20 February 2004 01:31, Richard Terry wrote:
> It is a pity we can't just work on one client.
I fully agree

> Certainly GTK2 looks better, and anyway, previously I thought the decision
> of the group had been that with the licencing issues on Windows  we were
> not going to use QT.
>
> It was also my understanding that wxPython was more flexible in terms of
> the module plugging.
>
> I'm only one of many and despite my preferences for designing in QT, the
> decision really had to be a group thing.
This has all been discussed before. We stick to wxWindows, period.
@Ian
What exactly is involved in using gtk2 themes ?
Does any code in gnumed itself have to be changed or is just a matter of using
gtk2 and the theme instead of gtk1 ?

I (personally)  would rather see the demographics widget completed.

Changing toolkits leads nowhere.

Qt won't automagically solve our most obvious problem.
It's not about how we code but what we get done.

> The point I was making previously is we need to stick to one gui design and
> then the coders need to work with that, otherwise we will never get a
> version out there despite all the massive work on the back end.
Exactly

> Richard
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43 am, you wrote:
> > It seems  that we've ended up with a halfbreed Herb/Terry client that
> > pleases no-one.
We stick to the Terry client. Why ? Because it is already there. You can't
beat that. I do not any physician here in Germany who has chosen the program
for its GUI. They consider features and price. So I urge you guys to postpone
this question till later.

As far as I know one design goal is GUI abstraction. Because of that it should
not be hard to write different clients later on. We need to concentrate all
resources on one client right now. Unless the current client is really crap.

But it is not !!!