[Gnumed-devel] Installation

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Installation
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:36:06 +1100

1) Installation.

I agree, the installation experience is seriously crap. I often have
trouble if I get behind on updates, despite having been involved as a
developer for nearly 2 years.

Installing from CVS has never been for the faint-hearted, for any
package, this is why
Gnumed needs to be properly packaged. Sebastian is working on windows. I
have promised RPMs, Andreas Tille already has .debs. I urge him again to
consider an apt-get'able repository, despite gnumed's low
functionality. With this work, gnumed installation will be automated and
hopefully quite easy.

2) Aesthetics.

Most people are using wxPython on GTK 1.2, which undoubtedly looks crap.
Moving to GTK2 allows almost infinite configurability of widget
appearance, borderless widgets, whatever, but this is done *outside*
the program code, in a separate "theme" file. I am happy to write
a "Terry theme" to whatever specifications.

However, I'm also happy to move to Qt, but given the work invested in
wxPython, I'm inclined to the former.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E