Re: [Gnumed-devel] get(All)Adresses()

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] get(All)Adresses()
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:32:14 +0100

> > > I am currently working on completing the functionality of the
> > > "demographics editor" widget
> > I thought so from what you were working at. One question (one
> > of those Karsten questions, I know): Is it supposed to be used
> > as a demographics *editor* or an *enter*-new-patient widget ?
> > For the latter I think a much more speed-oriented approach
> > fits well.
> Well, both. Can you elaborate on "speed-oriented"?
Why, sure. All this my opinion only, of course:

Imagine working at the reception desk of a busy practice. A
new patient turns up who hasn't ever been here before. What I
then want is a widget that has nearly no visual effects and
asks for the most basic information only since my goal is to
enter the basics as rapidly as possible:

last name
first name
gender
date of birth
zip code of place of residence
*street
*number
*city
(*phone)
patient ID(s)

[* = dependant on zip code]
[() = optional]

Now branch out to country-specific part:

insurance
other *required* details

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-08/msg00023.html

For that I would prefer a layout very similar to an edit area:
Just vertically arranged lines with interlinked phrase wheels
and rapid switching between fields (enter/tab). Dead simple,
not fancy at all, just clear and quick. Definitely NOT what
one would use to *review* demographic details. Not complete
either.

Does that make sense ?

The rapid-entry widget would be loaded at the front desk only,
while the demographic details editor is useful at most
workplaces.