Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:53:39 -0500

Ian Haywood wrote:

1) Installation. I agree, the installation experience is seriously crap. I often have trouble if I get behind on updates, despite having been involved as a developer for nearly 2 years.

Installing from CVS has never been for the faint-hearted, for any package, this is why Gnumed needs to be properly packaged. Sebastian is working on windows. I have promised RPMs, Andreas Tille already has .debs. I urge him again to consider an apt-get'able repository, despite gnumed's low functionality. With this work, gnumed installation will be automated and hopefully quite easy.
I had expressed interest in creating Gentoo ebuilds. Gentoo is fairly simple, for simple C/C++ packages, the gentoo ebuild just by default grabs the source, unpacks, does ./configure, make, make install to a temp directory, then moves stuff from there into the users real root / tree. If make install isn't good enough, you just tell it "dobin <binary file>", "doman <man files>", "dodoc <doc files". It's farily simple. For Python packages, it usually by default downloads a tarball, unpacks it, then I think it runs "python setup.py" (in case any compiling is necessary) and then "python install.py". Basically most of the work is done in the upstream package, in the configure and make script for C programs, and in the python scripts for python programs. This is really all the RPMs, debs, ebuilds, and NSIS installer should be doing, calling a script (the SAME script). Currently the debian debs are really confusing, it installs all the files manually, and I would hate to be the one to have to update that at every release. I started writing a Gentoo ebuild, but I abandonned it because I felt that it would be too complicated and updating it would be a nightmare. So I decided to try to help upstream gnumed install better and no one has yet explained to my fully why distutils cannot be used for the server and client.

2) Aesthetics.

Most people are using wxPython on GTK 1.2, which undoubtedly looks crap.
Moving to GTK2 allows almost infinite configurability of widget appearance, borderless widgets, whatever, but this is done *outside*
the program code, in a separate "theme" file. I am happy to write
a "Terry theme" to whatever specifications.

However, I'm also happy to move to Qt, but given the work invested in wxPython, I'm inclined to the former.

Ian