Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS 10.3 Panther

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS 10.3 Panther
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:55:31 -0800

SSH, which I am just getting familiar with, appears necessary if I wish to do any work at / on the Savannah site.

Could anyone advise whether, in seeking to make life easier, any of the utilities below is appropriate or recommended?

www.sshkeychain.org describes SSHKeychain as having the following features:
• Can remove all keys from the agent after sleep or after a minimum period of sleep (especially useful for notebooks).
        •        Can remove all keys from the agent when a Screensaver is
detected.
• Can remove all keys from the agent when the Apple keychain is locked.
        •        Can add keys to the agent whenever the Apple keychain is
unlocked.
• Can add keys to the agent whenever ssh is trying to use the agent with no keys on the chain.
        •        Can display itself in the StatusBar, Dock, or both.
• You can store the passphrases for your private keys in the Apple Keychain. • Can add the necessary variables to the global environment (~/.MacOSX/environment.plist), so you can use SSHKeychain with all your programs (Terminal, Project Builder, etc). You can also edit the global environment from within the Preferences.
        •        You can lock/unlock the Apple keychain from a menu item.
• Works seamless with the commandline tools. (i.e. tracks activity coming from the commandline tools, and updates it's UI.) • Works with requests coming over the network (through AgentForwarding).
        •        Can generate new keypairs.

alternately available are TelnetLauncher and RCEnvironment utilities:
Telnet Launcher utility works with Terminal.app and allows you to create lists, or groups of lists, of telnet and ssh connections and even includes an auto-login feature that saves your password for you though in Panther the auto-login function is still broken. This is a minor bummer, but what I really wanted was RSA authentication anyway. While I could use RSA auth just fine from Terminal.app, I found that Telnet Launcher bypassed the necessary environment variables that are set up by ssh-agent. My problem was how to get shell environment variables to be used by applications launched in the MacOS GUI. Then I found it - you can set environment variables in the file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, and after you re-login to Mac OS X, all applications you launch will have these variables set. Excellent! There is even a utility out there called RCEnvironment that makes editing this file a snap.--- original article at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? story=20031211122913895&query=openssh

another, "ssh agent", appears not to have been updated past Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar:
http://www.phil.uu.nl/~xges/ssh/