Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: Elizabeth Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed? (Modified by Jim Busser)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 17:56:47 +1000

gnumed-devel won't let me post from billiau.net today
so I  don't mind if you repost this
Liz

Jim Busser wrote:
I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but I am in the
process of getting a server set up, which the local IT people are
happy to set up under either Windows (egad!) or Linux.

Assuming Linux to be the only "smart / safe / wise " choice, which
factor should weigh heaviest or win out among:

- use whatever distro the local IT people are most familiar with, or
- are there specific distros to avoid (maybe Mandrake as it may be
subsumed by Red Hat) and / or
- is Debian preferred, on the basis of GNU license adherence or other
factors

As a past user of Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, and probably others
go DEBIAN

If you can't deal with the horrors of installing woody from 6 discs you just
download one of the three selfinstalling subversions
Knoppix
Morphix
Mepis
(I'm more than a little partial to Mepis)
Liz

--
Data, n.:
        Computerspeak for "information".  Properly pronounced