Re: [Gnumed-devel] Upper case / lower case data storage discussion & dec

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Upper case / lower case data storage discussion & decisions
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:36:35 +0200

> Just wondered whether there had been any discussion or decision to
> force case into upper or lower for storage
> (especially for any key fields),
That would make sense. However, I am not aware of any key
fields in the current schema. OTOH it is probably rather
arbitrary whether upper or lower case is enforced for such
fields since that is what the very decision to enforce
either one means: It doesn't matter.

> or whether to permit mixed case therefore having to
> compensate in the code for indexes and searches.
Why, of course.

> Would we ever want code to translate into "proper" case for example in
> name fields and maybe address fields, and must these be able to be
> over-ridden for example the dutch "van" and "de" and the german "von" ?
Huh ?  We won't be messing with what the user decides to store
apart from maybe warning about oddities. Name searches are
already taking mixed case into account, see
client/business/gmPatient.py::cPatientSearcher_SQL()