[Gnumed-devel] wiki convention to de-clutter discussion (proposal)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] wiki convention to de-clutter discussion (proposal)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:45:38 -0700

just an idea among current or potential wiki users:

There are times that to limit a wiki page content to just the current plan, in order to keep it clear, leaves out the rationale by which we got to the plan, or leaves out the alternatives that were considered. Yet to retain the extra detail on the same page would clutter and might confuse.

I thought therefore to take an idea from wikipedia which has been rewritten to maintain discussion about a page's content on a separate page.

While Twiki has no tidy built-in way to do this, any content that is worth keeping* (see footnote) COULD be moved onto a pseudo-"child" page, created by taking the existing wiki page/topic name (e.g. WikiWord) and appending _disc as in WikiWord_disc. Within the original page, beneath its heading, we could routinely insert the link _[[WikiWord_disc Discussion]]_ in italicized, non-heading text

As to some pages Ian had started (linked from DevelopmentPlanner) seeking discussion, I might think that after the discussion comes (there is yet no resolution) and after a plan has been resolved, these pages could be reduced to the "distilled" plan, and any discussion details worth keeping could be moved to a child page in the manner described above.

* content like known or potential weaknesses; things to remember; tradeoffs; alternate options; contingencies; dissenting views