Re: [Gnumed-devel] aoe/rfe/PIT

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] aoe/rfe/PIT
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 02:51:18 +0200

> > Someone care to send me the codes they'd use along with
> > a precise label for the coding system ? (like system,
> > revision, country, flavour, year etc.) I'd include that with
> > the test data.
> >

> re Codes they'd use...
in this case diagnosis codes for a) knive cut left arm, b)
wound infection of same, by c) an unknown vector.

> Post-1.0 a question might arise as to whether, in the back end, to
> provide space to enter/pre-enter a secondary code for items known or
> expected to be used for billing.
There already is space for attaching arbitrary numbers of codes
from arbitrary numbers of coding systems to diagnoses. This is
already tiptoeing the fine line between medical and billing
related requirements. I decided to put it in since it a)
allows for improved diagnosis data mining and b) is
sufficiently generic.

> It could be wise to enable whoever is
> doing the clinical coding to be able to decide/assign whatever is a
> suitable diagnostic code for billing, and this might be better done
> within gnumed and the appropriate code sent over along with the other
> details of the "billable items".
Surely but we'd need to devise a way to allow for this to
happen in a per-country fashion yet not hamper the generic
usefulness of GnuMed.

> I suppose it may be possible that
> different payors require different coding systems - maybe that is an
> Achilles heel in the idea.
That shouldn't be too hard, all in all.