Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui / schema

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui / schema
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:19:33 +0200

> >It already does. Look at Capt.Kirk. Ask if need be.
> How do I get this example  working?
Depends on what you mean by "get it working". You might just
want select this patient in the GUI and see what comes from
it. The source data resides in server/sql/test-data/*.

> Sorry , I'm not saying it doesn't work , I'm saying that auditing is
> fine as a trigger, since it is transparent and
> doesn't veto normal update .  I just remember demographics
> had a custom trigger which made insert/update look non-transparent.
Names has a custom trigger to enforce a business logic rule,
eg. there cannot be more than one active name. This still
isn't fully solved yet.

> The point is that triggers and semantic and integrity constraints
> can make a schema more difficult to write insert/updates too,
Surely so but what does that tell us ?  If we took this as an
argument to not use triggers and constraints we might just as
well use MySQL ?

> and , like , say workflow heuristics, may be a point of contention.
I am not sure I understand your point. My English is
lacking here. Do you mean they can be a bottleneck ? For what?
If so what does knowing that buy us ?

> The xlnk_identity seems less useful,
Why ?

> and the concept of true pupic
We may and likely will have to do with a "true" PUPIC.