[Gnumed-devel] user/_user priviledge separation abolishment

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] user/_user priviledge separation abolishment
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:10:55 +0200

Hi all,

to make a long story short: I have removed the user/_user
workaround we put in place due to PostgreSQL not having had
support for readonly connections.

The rationale goes like this:

- starting with 7.4 PG does have readonly sessions
- 7.4 is mature and widespread (7.4.2 is out, 7.5 in beta)
- production sites should use 7.4.x only
- production sites can easily use 7.4.x
- there are no legacy production sites we know of that matter
- even if used against PG < 7.4 things just work (w/o RO, though)
- removal cleans up the code and concepts

So I went ahead and converted our connection handling to not
use _user anymore but instead rely on PG to provide readonly
connections on demand. On PG < 7.4 it will just work except
that all connections will be read and write.

Any objections ?