Re: [Gnumed-devel] An Analysis of Demographics - Comments RT

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] An Analysis of Demographics - Comments RT
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:22:47 -0700

On Jul 18, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Richard Terry wrote:

Also I would be keen to here from those of us in different countries about the extent of differences on the clerical side of demographics - ie we have the
medicare number, dva number, health entitlement cards.

In Canada each province has is own "main" health-related patient number.

In British Columbia (my province) it is only pseudo-unique, for example newborns are assigned their mother's "personal health" number plus a "dependent number" of "66" until granted their own, unique personal health number - this can take several weeks.

DVA is sometimes used.

Beyond the above, a patient may have several forms of health care registration / coverage numbers (a Workmen's compensation file number is also common), and while any one payer may be most relevant to a given patient, perhaps in a lookup screen, to resolve excess matches, it may only be practical to list whatever is the "main" health related number for whatever is the locality. Alternatively, to be able to over-ride on a per-patient basis which number(s) to display in the lookup, but then you;d have to provide a label in context with the data as a 'column heading" would be meaningless.

In contacts with the local hospitals, for example to obtain lab results (not yet interfaced electronically) or to request documents (not reliably dispatched to all appropriate doctors) the hospital staff rely on this number heavily, though it does little good in a lookup screen if there is more than one local hospital. Locally, you can tell them apart but that will not be true everywhere.

I imagine that by "clerical" you do not mean date of birth, city of residence, or preferred contact number, any of which can also help (the last-named especially if you are on the phone with the patient at the time of the lookup).