Re: [Gnumed-devel] Auto-completion of Suburbs

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Auto-completion of Suburbs
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:25:15 +0200

> Ian you've forgotton that each state has similar town names.
There are duplicate town names in Germany, too. They are
usually represented like this:

town/state or town/river

> One must cater for multi-line addresses eg
>
> "The Gables"
> Enmore Branch
> 10/222 High Street
> SUBURB        POSTCODE
>
> Addresses like this are not uncommon
Huh ? Not uncommon ? If I wasn't confused by this comment I
would have sworn this type of address is the *most common* ?

> It seems to me from scanning the last flurry of comments on demographics that
> some members (germany mainly) don't see the need for anything more than a one
> or two line simple demographic input.
No. It'd need more than one or two lines. But it needn't have
lines for more "crap" than what's really needed and useful
today. Eg. I don't intend to capture "Mitgliedsnummer" today
as I don't do anything with it anyways. Also, I don't
necessarily capture, say, occupation right away as I don't use
it right away. I don't capture NOK right away. Etc. etc.

Maybe for them, but this is totally
> unsuitable for Australia, and I suspect many other places. We must get a
> fully functional multi-line  full information screen functional and not rely
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Two points I don't agree with. "full" is not what we need for
0.1. Functional is. *information* screen is not what we need
for *entering* a patient. A *capture* screen is. Capture
screens are different from information screens. IMO. When I
want to see what's in that black bottle I either pour it or
peek through the neck (?). But I don't peek through the funnel
that I use when *filling* the bottle. Do you ?

> on database imports.
It is not that we must not rely on (patient selective) database
imports. It is rather that we cannot forego them for GnuMed to
have any chance of getting a foothold in German practices,
trust me.