Re: [Gnumed-devel] protecting against clinical failure to review, or to

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] protecting against clinical failure to review, or to respond
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:40:02 +0200

> I am wondering about a few areas where his is already provided (in
> part) in gnumed and other areas where it could yet be structured.
The general idea is to have a rather generic "expected event"
generation framework (hence an "expent" ?) - a bit like a
delayed-message based event-request thing. I wonder if anyone
has a good proposal on that.

> For labs, we have the table test_result and the fields
,,,
> - reviewed_by_clinician boolean (whether a clinician has seen this
> result yet. Depending on the use case, this be simply set by any read
> access by a clinican, or may follow specific business rules such as
> "set as SEEN when treating/  requesting doctor has reviewed the item"
Currently we only ever set it manually making it an act of
intent to do so.

> One thing missing is whether the results require action. There is a
> field clinically_relevant, but it best determines whether to include or
> suppress in reviews of test history.
Yes.

> If we add one field, something like "for_action" or "hold" or "track",
> it could help
What you seem to want here is reminder logic. I'd suggest not
tying that to particular fields in particular tables but
rather have a generic reminders table where they can be
stored in programmatic fashion, eg. which is useful for any
kind of reminder. See the recent thread on recalls.