[Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X

From: Dominique Buenzli
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:06:55 +0200

> A little off topic . What is equivalent in MAC world to an AMD Duron 1GHz PC
> ?
> It should be able to run MacOSX I guess.

Even if  "Darwin" the core of Mac OS X runs on wintel machines, you will not be
able to run Mac OS X on your AMD, because the processor architecture is very
different than PowerPC.
What you could try though is to emulate Mac OS X using PearPC, but I have heard
that it is very slow.
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

> I have got a 300 MHz Apple Powerbook which runs both Gentoo Linux (whcih I >
> use all the time on that notebook) and OS 9.1 (whcih my kids use for some
> games) nicely, still trying to find an OSX installation CD cheaply (was told
> it
> runs nicely on that Powerbook too)

You can have a look here http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html
to check if it will run Mac OS X. If they say no, there is still this software
you can use: http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/XPostFacto/

I don't know how much RAM you have on your powerbook, but I would add the
maximum you can. Mac OS X loves RAM ! And the more you add the less it will be
sluggish. I would say minimum 128 Mo but better if you can more...
Hope this helps.

Dominique