Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: re: Possible development opportunity

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: re: Possible development opportunity
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:15:35 +0200

> nullifies *what could have been an* advantage of an EMR  *for this
> purpose* - their is no advantage of our being able to send electronic
> lab requests to a lab that refuses to receive them
Ah, OK.

> but we could still input our lab requests, get them to print on
> paper, give this to the patient and/or fax it to the lab. however
That is what I meant.

> when the results come back, there can be a difference between a test
> result code and a request code
true

> for example, I may order a "CBC" complete blood count
> - the lab sends me hemoglobin, red cell indices, white blood cell
> count, platelet count
> - each has its own "test result code"
possible, yes

> - but each test may not say that it originated from a "CBC" request
true

> - therefore while gnumed can help me remember I wanted a CBC,
In the current incarnation it doesn't even support that. Here
in Germany doctors just tell their EMR "we are waiting for
*some* test results under such-and-such a number which BTW
corresponds to patient X". They don't enter *what* they
ordered.

> gnumed
> could not tell me (without a lot of extra work) that the components
> of a cbc have all come back
While it cannot yet it still could. Liz is doing part of the
legwork for that (though she might not know that ;-)  One
could define a filter or profile CBC including hb, rbc, wbc,
platelets, mcv, mchc, you name it upon loading which missing
results would become apparent (albeit not the reason for
them being missing).