Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: re: Possible development opportunity

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: re: Possible development opportunity
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:46:51 -0700

At 10:36 PM +0200 9/13/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > Local lab companies seem very uninterested in receiving lab requests
 > electronically except hand-entered into their portal which nullifies
 > the advantage of an EMR  :-(
It doesn't nullify the advantages for "us", does it ?

nullifies *what could have been an* advantage of an EMR *for this purpose* - their is no advantage of our being able to send electronic lab requests to a lab that refuses to receive them

but we could still input our lab requests, get them to print on paper, give this to the patient and/or fax it to the lab. however when the results come back, there can be a difference between a test result code and a request code

for example, I may order a "CBC" complete blood count

- the lab sends me hemoglobin, red cell indices, white blood cell count, platelet count
- each has its own "test result code"
- but each test may not say that it originated from a "CBC" request
- therefore while gnumed can help me remember I wanted a CBC, gnumed could not tell me (without a lot of extra work) that the components of a cbc have all come back