Re: [Gnumed-devel] Possible development opportunity - client OS options

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Possible development opportunity - client OS options
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:33:16 +0200

On Monday 13 September 2004 23:22, J Busser wrote:
> It is not clear yet how soon a gnumed GUI might be operable from a
> Mac client, and I have no idea if the same applies from Windows. Can
> anyone speak to this?
Windows should be safe. We use it. The Windows port is pretty close to the
Linux port. The Mac port started after wxwidgets 2.4.2 was realeased as
stable. The are coding against CVS HEAD. This basically means wx 2.5 is the
first really usable version on Macs. Once wx 2.6 is out all platforms should
be have the same codebase but it will take some time before the major
distributions will ship it. Not to mention all the existing deployments (2.4
mostly). To make a long story short. We won't have a stable Mac version until
2.6 is released. This means Mac users will have to hack 2.5 specific code
which may conflict with 2.4 code.

> If the deployment that I am working on will require a limited but
> *working* GUI, is it *unsafe* to count on the GUI working on a
> Windows client and should I constrain (require)  the deployment to
> use a Linux client?
No. See above