Re: [Gnumed-devel] urb and area code

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] urb and area code
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:24:39 -0700

At 5:44 PM +0200 9/19/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Are there countries where one urb has more than one area code
for phone dialling ?  Eg. where one would say of two people
that they live in the same town but have different area
dialling prefixes ?

This affects us in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and I believe also in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to accommodate all the fax, cel phone and pager numbers, maybe in other large cities as well.

In Vancouver, the traditional area code had been 604. A couple of years ago 778 was introduced to augment the numbers in Vancouver, and is in use by some people. There is no physical or geographic constraint within the city to one or the other.

Therefore in this scenario, a default at the urb level may be partly helpful, because it is most common, and over time if a second area code became more common, I suppose that could become the default.

Putting it at the street level may not help in my case, though it may help others.

Would work to support both under the following rule:

if a non-null, non-blank default exists at the street level, use it (i.e. as an over-ride), in place of any existing default value at the urb level.