[Gnumed-devel] nearest Mac equivalents in Linux (client OS/distro option

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] nearest Mac equivalents in Linux (client OS/distro options)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:50:19 -0700

We had a thread a few months ago about various distro pro and cons for hardware to be used as a GNUMed server.

At this time I would like to raise a question of client options, from the perspective of a Mac user. Given GNUMed will not soon be usable with Mac OS as a client, has anyone (in particular any Mac users) sat down in front of more than one Linux distro and determined if the GUI of any one distro is closer than the others to the Mac GUI?

Maybe the 'recommended' desktop will run equally well on all distros, and it is a question of ease or difficulty of using various system softwares and utilities, in order to adjust configurations and to perform software updates?

I would expect that on a Linux client, I will mainly need to run GNUMed plus a web browser as the core application set.

Have any medical bodies assembled a list of additional FOSS software recommended for a medical desktop, and is the ability (and ease) of running those softwares independent of which distro is being used?