Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed Debian packaging lagging behind...
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:36:28 +0100

> >Gnumed *should* work solely through a UNIX socket connection. If
> >code has crept back in that assumes
> >a TCP/IP connection, please report it for fixing.
>
> Karsten and Andreas' replies seemingly agree Gnumed *can* work solely
> through a UNIX socket but I believe Ian's concern is code which may
> assume (or try to do) otherwise.
I don't think so. If GnuMed was not intended to also work over
TCP/IP I could stop maintaining the public database.

> 1. is Ian's point a useful one to incorporate into the wiki page
> http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/DevelopmentGuidelines
> and if so would there be a line or two of background or rationale to
> helpfully explain the decision? I imagine the snippet should go in
> the section  "Coding and Module-design guidelines"
Yes, but the gist of the matter is that GnuMed should be able
to operate over TCP/IP as well as UNIX domain sockets. And it
should be possible to operate over each of the two only if
that is so desired. IOW code should not make assumptions on
whether it's running on a local UNIX domain socket or a TCP/IP
socket.

> 2. is it useful/desirable to "search" within the code for such
> problems and to insert #FixThis comments (or whatever standard
# FIXME: ...

> comment we prefer), or to put such a task on a to-do list, or is it
> not important enough?
Putting it into the guidelines is enough I should think.