[Gnumed-devel] Re: gui for Wizard Type Installer

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gui for Wizard Type Installer
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:12:10 -0800

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Richard Terry wrote:

I'm happy to do the gui-design for this with the wxWizard thing if eveyone
makes a list of what they want included.
Just a question:  *WHO* is the *typical* person that installs GnuMed?
Is it a service provider for doctors or is it a random doctor just stumbling
over a free alternative pratice management software?

related questions:

1. who presently *tries* to install gnumed
2. who installs gnumed now SUCCESSFULLY and
3. do we wish it to be anyone different?

1. who presently *tries* to install gnumed --- I imagine that who *tries* to install it now *could* be a doctor (service provider doing research on behalf of a doctor or a group of doctors) looking to better inform themselves on what is available, and/or to look for software they might be able to use right away or at some time in the near future (weeks to months).

2. who installs gnumed now SUCCESSFULLY --- Given the limited development of gnumed, I think there cannot be many (if any) doctors or doctor groups that have paid a service provider to try to work with gnumed. So I suspect that those who have installed gnumed *successfully* have been *almost* all doctor hobbyists having moderate or more experience with *nix system administration, and also having various kinds and degrees of computer programming skill.

3. do we wish it to be anyone different? --- We earlier had discussion suggesting that at least for the gnumed client, a point-and-click installer could be important to enhance the numbers of persons further examining gnumed. I believe that it was felt that for a gnumed server, it could be appropriate to expect the person to have sysadmin skills.