[Gnumed-devel] Twiki issues

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Twiki issues
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:38:29 -0800

Hi everyone

I am still not fully caught up on some personal stuff (I could write my own version of the 12 days of Christmas, to include the kitchen drain plugging Christmas day, faucet falling apart, dishwasher dying, toddler spitting milk into the new digital piano, wife's car hit by a priest etc) but am catching up.

I have a few thoughts to add to the thread "re-think in 2005", maybe in a couple of days.

Nice to see TWiki up, I have therefore updated link at gnumed.org --- when I did so I *was* perplexed to find missing the notice I had put up advising in late November that the wiki was *down*, dunno if Tony is aware of any problems around then or if it was just bad luck, and my edit was not accepted.

Several questions about the TWiki install and our usage preferences

Carlos, what version of Twiki was installed --- was it 01-Sep-2004 Release (Cairo) --- and what installation 'steps" have so far been done? I am guessing there is work to be done if one were to actually follow the referance installation guide. For example email may somehow have to be enabled before it is possible for users to create profiles and make changes to the content as anyone other than TwikiGuest. There are additional things that need to be done, like adding myself and maybe David Grant (if willing) and Thilo and anyone else willing/appropriate to the TWikiAdmin group and uncommenting the ALLOWTOPICCHANGE = TWikiAdminGroup line.

Do we want to preserve TWikiGuest or do we want to revoke it so that people can only make changes after having created their own user profile? --- It could be helpful to know who has made certain changes. I imagine it should remain possible for the public to read pages despite disabling TWikiGuest?

At http://193.145.44.114/twiki/ along with a few TWiki documents, is a "Note: These pages do not need to be accessible by http. Access http://your.server.com/your-cgi-bin/view/Main/WebHome after you install TWiki"

1. Is it important for someone to disable general read access to this directory? 2. If so is the documentation linked via the wiki, or should special permissions be needed to directly access these files later? We do need to keep these versions available, because the documentation at the main twiki site will change as they work on new versions.

Shall we add gnumed to twiki.org's list of installations?
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Main/TWikiInstallation

Who should subscribe to twiki-announce security alerts as per http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/TWikiSecurityAlerts I can add myself, and (provided I am not away or indisposed) I can try to quickly notify people of any concerns. My technical ability to respond is, however, limited. Should we have at least 3 people subscribed and among these should at least one be Carlos or Karsten or David or anyone else who has (or is willing to have) the permissions necessary to respond to security alerts?