Re: [Gnumed-devel] Anticoagulation project and larger planning issues

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Anticoagulation project and larger planning issues
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:24:57 +1100

J Busser wrote:

The local district strategic planning committee believes that a set of very basic modules - patient identification (even if just "fed" from an appointment manager / biller)
- lab results handling
- medication management

@ Karsten & others, would it take a full-time programmer more than a month to develop gnumed to the extent I need? Should a programmer from a developed country cost much more than $50 Can/Aus (30 euros) per hour? (Not twice that, I hope!!!)

patient identification has been done about 3 -4 times already , and will be probably be the most familiar problem to a programmer. medication management at a basic level has been done, but not with the tracking interaction that's been mentioned. Lab handling is new territory.

I was going to estimate a week's worth of work, but then you've got professional liability insurance, adequate recognition of programmer's work, etc... ( that's what happens when money is mentioned)

You might get a cheaper rate if the programmer(s) is promised introduction for customization work,
goodwill such as no liability , etc...

(assuming that the result isn't going to be made into a product).

Aside,
wrt to lab result handling, one of the pathology communication companies in oz have implemented roundtrip request / result correlation , and our practice manager is trying to strongly recommend to the docs only to use that software (and that associated pathology company) , as it provides a electronic system of following up patients who don't go through with recommended investigations : apparently this is going to be a practice accreditation requirement, that practices have a system for tracking miscreant / slack patients that don't do their requests
(i.e. reminding them at least once).

Such are the commercial side effects of newer/ "better" accreditation requirements for justifying
an accreditation bureaucracy.