Re: [Gnumed-devel] front wiki page

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] front wiki page
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:18:48 -0800

At 12:26 PM +0100 2/15/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
One should rather ask what type of people come to the wiki for
information ?

a) users
b) developers
c) undecided people

I think you will be right later on, yet at present we *do not have* any users (really) so we are pulled between "order" versus serving the needs of people who can usefully get involved "right now". People cannot at present even *become users* (even of the pre 0.1 code) unless they can themselves (or can get someone to) do technically administrative work like installation.

Right now there are really only "current" developers (who, being familiar, will go to Developer's corner or RoadMap or DevelopmentReference) --OR-- "everybody else" who may as well be directed into an overview of what is available (the Getting Started).

I do think a bigger challenge that the front page is that the content has not yet integrated, in the same way that there are still 2 config methods etc. But I do agree we should continue developing the content for users, administrators, and developers and to link these resources *at least* to the level below the front page, and to reshape the front page once we have (or are ready for, or expect) more types of visitors.

I would appreciate more views than just yours and mine, after all you are already familiar with most aspects of the project and, like you, I am familiar with the wiki content, so you and I are more conjecturing what would be useful to any "one type" of visitor.

If you and I can be given more input to support what you propose as more useful **as immediately as the next few months** I should happily revise my thinking. So list members, please add your wisdom.