Re: [Gnumed-devel] simple question about timestamps

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] simple question about timestamps
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:36:17 +0100

Well, at least two people have yessed my question on whether
we need to know the original source time zone on timestamps.

As we won't be having a composite type or whatever for that in
0.1 I installed the following which isn't entirely correct but
gets us close:

In clin_encounter I added a field source_time_zone of type
interval. Upon insert a new encounter into clin_encounter that
field is set to the time zone of the client owning the session
by means of a trigger. On update the initial time zone is kept.

Assuming all data for one encounter is entered from locations
in the same time zone this will fairly well reflect the source
timezone for timestamps. It isn't fool-proof, however, eg when
I enter timestamps on behalf of a lab from a different time
zone the source time zone will be wrong. Mind you, the
timestamp *value* will still be correct. We just don't have
the proper time zone for the lab site.

That should suffice for now.