Re: [Gnumed-devel] review of possible checkin.

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] review of possible checkin.
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:09:33 +0100

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 11:15, catmat wrote:
> Ian Haywood wrote:
[snip]
>   Yes there are log levels, and possibly filtering of logging based on
> originating module, but I haven't worked out how to do that at the
> configuration level ,environment level or  the command line level ( is
> it documented?).
> One of the main reasons development is so slow is there is no step through
> debugger, or the technique for using one is not widely known, and that
> debugging via the log is so painful because the technique for log
> filtering is not widely known.
Maybe one day we will hack a little gui that make the log more readable. I
image a tree based desgin with code/log folding.

eric3 does code folding nicely as do many other editors. I might be wrong but
maybe for kate or emacs all it takes to write definitions for the log file
format. If eric/kate/emacs treat the logfile as code like they treat known
programming languages it should automatically give you all the benefit you
get from using kate/emacs for coding.

From my blurred words you can tell I don't really know what I am takling about
but if you find out let me know :-)

> Maybe the howto for debugging should be in
> the wiki. The howto should be more concrete than just guidelines, "one
> should use LogException() because it prints out a stacktrace in the log
> where the path to an exception can be traced through line numbers in each
> module file."
If you don't mind KDE or QT than take a look at 'eric'
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

Why? Because it automatically opens the file that causes the exception at the
line the exception occured. Actually it opens all of the files/modules on the
way to line in question.

You can execute/debug a file step by step.