[Gnumed-devel] Installers

From: Tim Churches
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Installers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:26:38 +1000

Sebastian or anyone else, have you tried the BitRock installer yet? It
certainly looks interesting. I am going to ask them for a free (um,
no-cost) license to try it with NetEpi, but I'd be very interested in
comparing notes if it is going to be used for GNUmed.

An alternative might be to use AutoPackage for cross-distribution Linux
packaging (http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/autopackage.org/), and either
the Nullsoft installer (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) or Inno Setup
(http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) for Windows.

The advantage of the latter approach is that even the installers are
open source. Disadvantages are the need to maintain separate installers
for Linux and Windows, and no Apple Mac OS X support, which BitRock
promises.

Difficult choice.

Tim C